Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Writing Change and Help Needed!

For those of you who have known me a while you know I usually write fiction. I've finished two novels and brainstormed dozens more. I have one laid out on my plot board that keeps tickling my mind but my attention and time have been focused on something else recently.

Ever had a moment where the pieces click together? Where a few disjointed thoughts and reflections suddenly make sense together in a way you hadn't thought about before? Many times these connections seem obvious once we start sorting them out and looking more closely.

Tommy has been preaching through Ephesians and one of his messages from chapter one really struck something in me. The information wasn't new - I'd heard those verses before - but something resonated in a new way with me. Things I'd been meditating on previously connected and it was hard to concentrate on the rest of the sermon because I was excited to go home and scribble down everything on my mind.

So I'm currently reading a huge stack of books - some taken from Tommy's office - and outlining a Christian living/growing type book. Is writing non-fiction different than writing a novel? You bet! But I'm enjoying it so much. Part of the joy is from reading so many different books that focus on the same theme and gleaning wisdom from different sources.

Before I say too much about the theme or topic, because it's slightly shifting as I read more about it, I want to get your feedback. We're all at different places in life with different backgrounds and struggles. My questions are...

...what keeps you coming back to the Bible? Or what keeps you from reading the Bible?
...do you feel like you're growing as a Christian or treading water?
...what frustrates you about your walk with God?

These are things I'm asking of myself as I read and write and outline and I'd love to hear from others too! I strongly feel for this to help others, it needs to be seen from more than my perspective of what I deal with. I want to know what others struggle with so hopefully this will be an encouragement.

5 comments:

  1. Here are my answers:

    ...what keeps you coming back to the Bible? Or what keeps you from reading the Bible?
    Wanting a closer walk with God keeps me coming back to the Bible, feeling like a failure as a Christian, along with lack of 'free' time keeps me away

    ...do you feel like you're growing as a Christian or treading water?
    I feel like I'm growing. Slowly, but still growing

    ...what frustrates you about your walk with God?
    My Lack of discipline in daily reading/prayer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What keeps me coming back to the Bible is it's such an adventure. I've seen the Word move and change lives. It is alive. I don't know how to exactly put it into words. I'm so grateful I'm able to read when so many are not. It is a gift for sure. What keeps me from reading the Bible is when I don't purposefully put it first and time management and unexpected things that come up with my kids.

    I feel like I've been growing. I take some steps forward and then fall back some. It is a continual process.

    My frustrations with God seem to be less and less. The more I trust in Him the less frustrated I get. His ways are higher than my ways and He can't be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing in him is a lot about trust. Realizing we can't do it alone. Thanks for the imput!

      Delete
  3. Thanks,Alesia! Yes, agree. Growing is always slow but thankful for progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sort of encompasses all your questions, but when I'm reading/listening to Christian living sources, I mostly appreciate it when an author leans into the hard. For example, I am a thinker and questioner, and so I am especially encouraged when someone heads off my concerns or questions with a passage with a "You might be thinking this verse could justify blah blah blah."

    ReplyDelete