I was a little hesitant to ask a four year old what she wanted her room to look like. I wasn't about to do a Frozen-themed bedroom. I really wanted something that looked princessy and little girlish but wouldn't be outdated in two years. So I set out looking at pictures on Pinterest (where else?) to show her and gauge her reactions. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Here is the inspiration picture that started the whole process.

She chose this beautiful light blue (Benjamin Moore Sweet Bluette) for the walls. It's very shabby-chic which I thought matched well with the white furniture we already had for her. After painting it, we let her come in. She looked around and asked, "Where's the tree?" She thought it came with the paint! So we started looking at Hobby Lobby and online for a tree to put up.
It took a few months but we finally found one, ordered it, and got it in place. It was an easy process, just time consuming. I cut out the pieces, Tommy put the tree up, and I did the flowers and birds.
I took some tape and taped all the flowers and birds in place before I permanently pressed them to the walls. I wanted to make sure the pink and white flowers were evenly spaced, it looked natural, etc. This took one afternoon with two kids watching my every move and little girl offering her suggestions.
The next afternoon I set the kids up with a movie downstairs, turned a YouTube video on my phone for me, and got it done! It took several hours and I had to rearrange some flowers but it wasn't too bad. And I love how it turned out!!
It's hard to tell in pictures but there are also small white flowers mixed in. In person, they are much easier to see! Little girl loves her tree. She told me where she wanted the birds placed and she put several of the flowers on herself. It really makes the room and fills up so much of those tall walls. I would use products from this company again (click here for the website: simpleshapes). We didn't have any problems.
Because the room is actually a living room, it doesn't have a closet. Instead of building one we opted to look for an armoire. The price of a new one was out of the question so I kept checking the internet for deals. We finally found one through a local internet site that was a good price, close for pickup, and in good condition. It's also Pottery Barn brand so it'll last! There's plenty of room to hang up big girl's dresses, coats, and skirts, plus drawers for more storage. That cardboard on the side is for when we work puzzles, one of her favorite things to do. Much easier to use that than do it on carpet!
At the end of the summer I painted a dresser that we already had a light pink. My mom spray painted the old brass knobs and pulls white. The end result is perfect! I especially like it against the blue walls.
We had gotten big girl some Frozen sheets when she got her bed last year and she was so glad the colors matched her new room decor. We also bought plain pink sheets. I'd love to get a shabby chicish quilt like in the inspiration picture but I haven't found one that's the right blue and pink. Still looking.
We still need to add curtains. I'm just going to go with white curtains because I don't feel like we needed much. The ceiling is so high and the windows so tall I want to keep it light and fresh. Since she has blinds on the windows we don't need heavy curtains to block out the light.
I already talked in a blog post about some of the wall art. Big girl is a crafter!! So we'll hang the frames shown in the previous post by the window where she can display some of her creations. The canvas pictured below I bought on sale at Hobby Lobby a while ago. I love this verse and the colors go great. I'm debating keeping the green lampshade. I like the lamp base but the shade is the only green in the room. I keep going back and forth between keeping it or finding a pink one. We'll see.
The pink tray on this shelf has been a great addition to her room. We keep notebooks, paper, pencils, crayons, scissors, and tape in there. When she needs to craft, everything is in one place and she can easily take it to a table. It's also very simple to clean up. I found the tray at the Dollar Store.
The living room had French doors but I wanted her to have privacy. We researched a few options and settled on frosting the glass ourselves. We got a kit from Lowe's and it took me and my mom a little more than an hour. The results are great and we haven't had any problems. Definitely need two people to pull it off but very doable.
Overall little girl loves her space. She sits on her bed and stares at the tree, she'll close the door and look at books or do puzzles. I'm so thankful for the way it turned out and that she feels comfortable in there.
Absolutely LOVE it Ang! You did a great job. :)
ReplyDeleteLove!
ReplyDeleteLove!
ReplyDeleteSo very pretty! I'm sure her imagination will continue to soar with the addition of the tree, flowers & birds! Way to go!
ReplyDelete~Debbie S.
Delete