As the last day of 2009 quickly slips away, a thought lingers in minds everywhere...what is my new year's resolution? The point of these promises we make to ourselves is, I suppose, motivation to do something better next year than we did this year. Probably why diets so often make the list. Of course, it's not wrong to make resolutions. It's good to look back on the previous year and reflect on what decisions might have been wiser. You can't change the past but you can learn from it and do better in the future.
I don't always make a resolution to begin a new year. But tomorrow we are also beginning a new decade! I think that prompts a change from my usual New Year's response. Resolutions are notoriously difficult to keep for a year. In fact, annually news reports are made dealing with this topic: how to stick to your resolution, the most popular resolutions, pictures and videos of people in the gym. We hear it all the time. But somehow all those "how to" reports don't seem to help. And I think it's because people make huge resolutions. They think of the best possible scenario and promise to accomplish it in a year. No wonder most resolutions are forgotten by March.
So this year, I resolve to make smaller resolutions that I might actually keep. I'm going to smile more, get upset less, eat healthy, count my blessings often, encourage my friends, listen patiently, love those around me and glorify God in everything. And I think you'll agree, those are resolutions worth keeping.
Happy New Year!!
No comments:
Post a Comment