Monday, July 19, 2010

I Love My Family

I love my family. For the past two weeks, Tommy and I have been traveling in the east, visiting some of his family and most of mine. And whenever someone hears of how far we live from my parents, many people ask, “How do you do it?” The answer is fairly simple: Tommy and I are where the Lord wants us and my parents are where the Lord wants them.
Don’t get me wrong, I wish my family was closer. It would be nice to see them more often, be able to spend more holidays together, etc. But I believe we appreciate each other more because the times are few and far between.
Just because we don’t spend every waking moment together doesn’t mean my family doesn’t get along. Everyone can laugh and talk and have fun with everyone else. The few silences aren’t awkward or tense with unresolved issues. We love spending time as a family and we take advantage of every opportunity to do so. I’m very thankful for parents who are willing to sacrifice time with me knowing the Lord has bigger plans than who we spend Thanksgiving with.
And it’s funny. Even if you don’t spend every day together, the memories you have still rub off and are meaningful. You still have something in common with each other because you’re family. You do have to make an effort to email, call, etc. but it shouldn’t be difficult if you love your family. My mom and I still laugh at the same things and remember some of the same events although I see her twice a year. My dad and Tommy still talk about books and current issues.
Visiting family was so wonderful and I enjoyed every moment. I thank God daily for the family and in-laws He has blessed me with. And no distance is great enough to change that.

2 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time and glad you are back! It was good to see you for a minute last night :)

    ReplyDelete