Three weeks ago, I got a part time job. I'm enjoying the work, learning the position and finding opportunities to witness. But I'm discovering that on my off days, I need to be more productive...I don't have all day to get things done.
Don't laugh but my organization side has come to the rescue! Because I have the same schedule every week at work, I decided to carry that over to my home life. I'll vacuum and dust on Wednesday, grocery shop and do laundry on Thursday, work at church Tuesday morning and fit miscellaneous tasks in as they arise. I'm in the process of making an Excel sheet to document my activities.
The benefit is that hopefully I won't have "oh no, I didn't get that done and need to stay up til midnight!" moments. Of course, part of living is being flexible if situations come up but it's nice to wake up and know what has to happen that day.
Even as I planned my days and filled out my sheets I realized how little control I actually have. All it would take is one unseen event and my day would change. Is that bad? No really, but what could make it bad would be my attitude. If I'm so stuck on what I have to get done that I bypass an opportunity for service, that's bad. Or if I put my day's goals above the needs of those around me, that's bad. Or maybe I put aside what's on my schedule but I complain the whole time. Again, bad.
So what my days really come down to is doing what needs to be done (even things not on my list) and doing them cheerfully. Sounds like a good day's work to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment