Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful for...Part 2

Time is flying and we are a week away from Thanksgiving! Here is a continuation of what I'm thankful for....
Music.
No matter what I'm doing, I probably have music on. Whether it's something new or a familiar favorite, I love having noise in the background. And isn't it amazing how much something non-tangible like music can evoke such memories and emotions?
I was cooking the other day and I got in the mood for something loud, bombastic, vocal. So I slipped in my CD of Brahms Requiem. It's a choral piece with solos for baritone and soprano and all the amazing orchestral intricacies I love Brahms for. The text is sung in German and comes from various Bible passages. When I took voice lessons as a teen, my teacher had all her students learn the Requiem (in English, thankfully) and we sang it at the end of our spring recital. That was my introduction to it and I've loved it since. The sixth part is my favorite. The text is something like "death where is thy sting? Where is thy triumph?" and all the parts keep going higher and the orchestra is playing full level. Then, after a long high note with drums pounding, everyone drops out except the strings and Altos who begin singing "Worthy are thou to be praised Lord of heaven and earth." Gradually, the other parts and various instruments add in as the phrase is repeated to the glorious ending. I get goosebumps every time I hear that. Even when I'm making dinner.
Right now I'm listening to a peaceful vocal duet by Sasha and Shawna. I found it on Pandora and love their clear voices and beautiful harmonies. It's putting Koshka to sleep but making me hum along. The gift of hearing is so wonderful, so everyday that we don't think about using it. Until everything is absolutely silent and we notice the void. Now granted, at times peace and quiet is the gift and just what we need. But never enjoying the beauty of music? Hard for me to imagine. It's a gift from God and we haven't even heard the most beautiful music yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment