It's the beginning of December and no matter where you go there are signs of the season. We usually don't decorate too much. A tree, some garland on the stairs, stockings, a wreath on the door. I haven't had a chance to pull everything out yet but I was able to get my dining table set up. This year I did something that wasn't too "Christmasy" but more like winter. My plan is to leave it up through January and not have it look out of place.
I took an idea from Martha Stewart Living and modified it. She suggested getting the prickly gumballs and spray painting them white or silver. Then she glued them to a Styrofoam wreath for the front door. After I painted mine (lovingly gathered by my parents from their backyard), I decided to not make a wreath but throw them, literally,on a wood tray. The pine cones were on sale at Wal-Mart, the ornaments from an after Christmas sale last year.
Once Christmas is over, my plan is to take the ornaments out and replace them with some dark red berries I have from last year. I love having everything in the tray because it's so easy to pick up and move if I need to add another leaf to the table, put a tablecloth down, etc. But the arrangement stays in place.
I also used the gumballs in some square vases. I got these when a craft store was going out of business. The gumballs fit perfectly and fill the space. I had to cram the pine cones in a little but they aren't going anywhere! I found the berries on sale at Wal-Mart (always roam the clearance aisle there). I put the two vases on either side of the tray, just to fill it out a little on my big table.
I think that's good for a decorating start. Now on to the rest of the house....Happy decorating!
I love it! Those decorations look great. I try to decorate with winter things too, rather than all Christmas stuff. Lots of snowman and such :)
ReplyDelete