Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Easy Pennant Banner

Little Girl's second birthday is quickly approaching and, although we aren't having as big a gathering as last year's Hello Kitty themed party, I still want to make it special. That includes decorating (which I love!!). On a survey trip to Hobby Lobby for ideas, I found a cute Happy Birthday banner in the party colors (pink and green) but it was $6. That isn't super expensive but I wondered if I could do something else that would be similar for less money.
I remembered seeing a lot of pennant banners on Pinterest and craft websites and thought how hard could that be? So I bought some 12x12 paper (on sale) and got to work!
The white is the backside of the pink paper. Trace your template on the back so no one sees the pencil marks.

I looked online for a template but couldn't find the size I wanted. So I took scrap paper and drew my own triangle. I did two different sizes.

Using said template I marked on my paper where to cut. I decided what pattern I wanted the two colors and two sizes to be in and traced away. Then cut them out.

I had pink crochet thread from a previous project. So I got that out along with my hole punch. I punched a hole in the top corners of each triangle so the thread could go through.




Following my written pattern, I stacked all the triangles in the order they needed to go. Then I wove the thread through the holes front to back so you don't see it too much.



Done!! This was about the fastest decoration ever. I used four 12x12 sheets (two pink, two green) and since the paper was all I bought, it cost me about $1.60. I might add some ribbons to the ends but I'll wait until closer to party time. The things I love about these pennant banners: they are cute for any occasion, totally customizable, super easy, and inexpensive. I'll be making them for other parties too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment