Thursday, August 22, 2013

Freezer Meals Intro

Fall is approaching and that means our schedule is about to go crazy. From September through the spring we have something almost every night of the week. AWANA, youth group, music practice, Bible studies and classes, parties and then special things and meetings during the day with friends, church family. Like I said, CRAZY!!
In an effort to get a little ahead for this coming schedule, I searched my Pinterest boards for easy freezer recipes. Now, my definition of easy is easy to put together now and easy to cook later. Simple instructions, common ingredients. I read through dozens of blogs and websites for ideas and basically found what I needed to get started in one place. Baked in the South  not only had delicious sounding recipes but many of them were open some cans, dump them in a bag, add uncooked meat and spices. Done! Forgive me if I sound like a snob or lazy but cooking the entire meal then cooling it and freezing it only to reheat it when I need to sounds like more work than needs to happen. Freezer meals are supposed to be easy (see above definition).
So I armed myself with a list of 12 recipes (half from the above blog, 3 from a cookbook I have, 2 from another website, and 1 from my recipe clippings file). I searched my pantry and made out a shopping list of what I needed and got to work.
I'm keeping this list of freezer meals on my fridge so I'll know what I have available. Once we eat something, I'll cross it off or replace it with more. This list was my task to complete over 3 days.

With the exception of the meatballs, chicken/turkey soup, chicken pot pie, and spaghetti sauce, I've never made or eaten any of these recipes so I don't know how well they'll turn out. Everything I read in the blog comments was positive so I'm giving them a try!!
When I got home from the store, almost everything I bought was for these meals so rather than storing them in the pantry and dragging them out again, I organized everything on the dining table by recipe and labeled them with Post-Its so I could easily grab the main ingredients when I wanted to make a certain meal. On the Post-It I also wrote what other ingredients I needed (usually the meat) to make the meal happen.



I bought aluminum pans with covers to freezer casseroles in because I didn't want to sacrifice my 9x13s to the freezer for unknown time. I know there are options for using glass pans...but these are just easier!!

I divided the recipes into 3 days because of the schedule I was working with. Day 1 I had no meat to worry about, day 2 was all open and dump recipes, day 3 were recipes with a little more prep to them.

NOTE: Because I got these recipes from other blogs, I'm not going to write them out here. I'll supply the links, you can visit the original site if you're interested. I just wanted to summarize how I broke everything down and maybe encourage you to make a system that will work for you. :)

NOTE AGAIN: I was specifically looking for recipes I could move from freezer to crockpot. Not all of these do that but most of them you can. Before I start loading things into the freezer bags, I use a Sharpie to write the date, meal, and instructions. Then when I go to use it, I don't have to look up a recipe to see how long to set the crockpot or what to add. It's all right there.

So Day One...

I made spaghetti sauce from tomatoes I froze last year. I know sauce is something that doesn't take a lot of time but I had the ingredients and that means 1 less jar I need to keep in the pantry. I kind of followed Mark Bittman's recipe in How to Cook Everything: The Basics but I made it my own by adding mushrooms, grated carrots, and putting the tomatoes through the food processor to get the chunks out. I did have to cook this to get it thick but it cooled pretty fast and then into a freezer gallon bag.

Then I made Loaded Baked Potato Soup using the recipe from Baked in the South. She has 5 posts of freezer meals, each post containing 4-5 different meals. This was super fast: cut up potatoes, onions, (I skipped the ham because of my migraine trigger), load into a bag, done! Of course when you're ready to eat it, you'll add more ingredients, which I listed on the bag.



That was all I got done the first day but hang on!! Day 2 was fast and furious!! To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment