I don't want to be a parent that expects perfection in everything or can brag that my kids can quote the Declaration of Independence by age five. But I do believe that working with kids from a young age gets them ready and excited for a lifetime of learning. So when Little Girl was born I started researching and asking for recommendations of various books and helps for future homeschool use, knowing it was several years out.
Now that Little Girl has turned two, I can see what she likes to do and what interests her. Reading, coloring, dressing up like Mommy, and singing are some of her favorite activities. I found on Amazon a Bible memory book for kids that looked like something she would enjoy. I ordered it and we've been using it for several weeks. Some of the verses are a little long for her to tackle the whole thing now but she has been able to memorize the first line. What I love about this book is it goes through the alphabet, which Little Girl is learning, and has a story to read that explains and puts the verse into practice. Example: the verse for A is "A soft answer turns away wrath." The story is about a little girl who gets angry when her friend won't share but she remembers to speak with a soft answer, or nice words, instead of yelling and getting mad. Yes, the children in the stories are amazingly good and quick to catch on. When they disobey, for example, their mom explaining that God wants us to obey and praying with them results in the kids apologizing and saying how glad they are God forgives them and gave us the Bible. BUT we want to give our kids positive examples to follow, right? Even if the examples aren't the most realistic. Little Girl will come to me almost everyday and want to read the Bible lesson book, as she calls it. We aren't trying to get through the book in a certain length of time. Once she knows the verse for a letter well enough to say it without help, we move to the next letter. I'm not super concerned about references at this point. And it's not really formal teaching. We sit on the couch together, I read and repeat the verse (or how much of the verse she's learning), read the story, and go over the verse again. Throughout the day I'll ask, "What verse is for A?" and help her if she needs it. If she wants to read the story again, we'll do that at various times during the week. As we learn more letters, we're constantly reviewing the ones she already knows.
So far Little Girl has loved it and I've heard her repeating the verses to her stuffed animals. I also printed - from various websites - coloring pages with the letter she's learning and things that start with that letter. We don't have a set "school time" but by keeping certain things and activities separate from her regular toys, she gets excited when I pull them out and it makes her want to sit down and do it for an hour or so. I would recommend this book or finding verses on your own and starting with your kids early. They catch on sooner than you'd think.
No comments:
Post a Comment