If you're like me, you wake up in the morning and somewhere between getting breakfast and getting dressed, you check Facebook. I pull it up on my phone and scan to see birthdays, prayer requests, anything amazing that happened during the night. And I've been burdened by a trend I've seen and one I've struggled against myself. The trend of complaining.
Of course we usually don't call it that. We're just letting people know today is a hard day so if they come in contact with us they know what to expect. There's nothing wrong with asking people to pray for you when you get discouraged. I've had those days when everything seemed to be against me: toddler spills milk everywhere and drags her stuffed animal through it, toddler has a blowout in the middle of your grocery shopping and you forgot the diaper bag, you drop dinner on the floor and the dog eats it before you can say "NO!", you spill grease on your favorite shirt and company is coming, the dog tracks muddy paws all over your newly-vacuumed carpets...need I continue?? The question is with what attitude or what purpose are you sharing your problems with the world? Do you want others to feel sorry for you and write nice things to lift your spirits or are you wanting biblical encouragement as you learn what God has for you through a tough day?
We rarely have perfect days; at least perfect by our standards. And sometimes when we read about/see other people's "perfect" lives on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blogs, etc. it adds to our discouragement and feelings of self-pity. No one can possibly know how much we want to crawl into bed and start over. No one can possibly understand how difficult our life is. Before long, we're so caught up in how terrible everything is going for us that we can't see the good in anything, even if it's staring us in the face.
Christians (and non-Christians) have always had the ability and opportunity to brag about their problems and play the comparison game. But in this day and age, we have the chance to not just tell those we see in person, we can tell people we haven't seen in years, maybe have never met. It's just too tempting sometimes, especially when we're already "in the depths of despair."
After doing a study in Philippians, I decided to reevaluate what I share and why I share it. Why? Because when Paul was writing to the believers in Philippi, he was in prison and not a very luxurious prison. And what did he tell them?
Phil. 4:4-7 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do
not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and
supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Earlier in the letter Paul encouraged them to focus on others, not themselves and to use our Lord as their example. If there was ever an example of humility, Jesus personified it by coming to earth.
Phil. 2:4-11 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
So everyday we have a choice: do we look for blessings and ways to encourage others, even those online? Or do we type out our frustrations without a thought, not knowing who will read them or how our attitude will affect them? One of the things I love about November is Thanksgiving. It's a blessing to me to read the daily "I'm thankfuls" that some people choose to write. I did it last year and it was refreshing to, everyday, look for what was good and praiseworthy and lift those blessings up to God, the One who provided all I have.
Does that mean my life is perfect? Forgive me while I chuckle. No, I still struggle some days with having a discontent attitude or wishing my circumstances were different. And again I go to Philippians:
Phil. 4:11-13 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I
know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every
circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger,
abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Did you ever stop to consider the verses leading up to verse 13, one of the most quoted verses by Christians? Paul is recounting how the Philippians had sent him a gift because he was in need. After thanking them, he says I don't really need anything because I've learned God provides and gives strength through everything that's happened to me. Whether I'm hungry or full, free or in prison, I can face it all because of Christ.
What a testament of thankfulness! Of course, having that attitude and implementing it in our lives is a daily choice. Whether we wake up sick, tired, cheerful, energetic, or ready for the day to be over. We decide what we will dwell on and how we affect others through that attitude. Here's a verse from Philippians that tells us how those thoughts are accomplished:
Phil. 4:8 Finally,
brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there
is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about
these things.
Needed to hear this today! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it was encouraging. Thanks for the comment!
Delete