Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Dancing Master by Julie Klassen

I finally got another book to review for Bethany House and it's a book I've been wanting to read for a long time. Ever since her debut with The Lady of Milkweed Manor, I have devoured everything from this talented author. Klassen writes British Regency fiction and even though there's always a romance element to her stories, she weaves in history, suspense, and mystery to make the story much deeper.
In her latest book, The Dancing Master, Klassen does not disappoint. A secret family scandal has forced dancing and fencing teacher, Alec Valcourt to leave London with his mother and sister and take up residence in a small village. However, his plans meet a setback when he discovers the village matriarch has prohibited dancing.
Julia Midwinter can't understand why her mother is so protective of her or why her deceased father was so distant. Desperate for attention she flirts shamelessly and dreams of escaping from her manor house and seeing the world. When Alec Valcourt arrives and she learns of his profession, she turns her flirtatious ways on him despite her mother's objections.
Having learned a difficult lesson in his past, Alec is wary of Julia until he realizes she behaves as she does to cover a vulnerability. As truths about the past emerge, Alec and Julia each discover more about themselves and are drawn closer together.
In true Klassen style, all the secrets aren't revealed until the final chapter. The characters continue to grow and develop right up until the end. That's one of the things I love about this author's books. You aren't left with drawn out, exaggerated endings but things resolve and everything is tied up. I have heard some comments that her stories move slowly and drag in some places. While not brimming with action and plot twists at the end of every chapter, there is a steady progression of action before reaching the ultimate climax. This allows the reader to learn more about the characters and for the story to progress in a more natural time.
I have no complaints about this book, except now I begin the wait until Klassen's next! Any fans of Jane Austen or the Bronte's should give this author a try. Her detail, research, and layered stories make her an author not to forget.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. The thoughts and opinions expressed above are my own and were not influenced in any way by the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment