Saturday, August 23, 2014

Things Motherhood Has Taught Me

We learn lessons in all different ways and in all different stages of life. Often we find it would have been nice to learn some things earlier than we did but we can always glean what we can and move ahead. Here are some things that don't just have to do with moms but it took becoming a mom for me to get the memo.

I'm Selfish
We don't usually want to admit this but we are a selfish people. With our time, our things, our talents, our resources. The time one has hit me hard. I often think, "I just want one afternoon to do what I want, not what my kids dictate or need." That doesn't sound selfish, does it?

Someone is Watching All the Time
Obviously God is always watching and we should remember that but storming around the kitchen banging drawers, yelling when another driver cuts you off, talking about someone in a negative or rude way...it's amazing the things young children pick up on. And they are always listening, observing.

Patience is Important
Some days I just want to give up. The same questions, the same issues keep coming up and I'm answering and correcting and disciplining all day long. It's exhausting and it requires patience. Patience to understand repeating something helps them learn, patience to do the loving thing.

There's Always Time for Prayer and Bible Study...and You Need It!
Most of our excuses for not getting certain things done is "I didn't have time". Well, when it comes to opening God's Word and spending time with Him, there are no excuses. I struggle with having a block of time to sit and read and prayer in peace. So I do my devotions throughout the day. When I wake up, when the kids go down for a nap, before I get ready for bed. Five minutes here and there is better than nothing. Make it happen.

Act How I Want My Children to Act
Are you annoyed by children who complain all the time? Who can never find anything good or helpful to say? A lot of how children act is what they are allowed to do and how they see others respond. If you are constantly finding the sour in your day and sharing those complaints out loud, where are your children going to learn to look on the bright side, even in a hard situation? I know some people and kids are naturally more pessimistic and anxious than others but I think everyone has the ability to be thankful and find something good in life.

You are Your Children's Biggest Influence
Even if you work and your children are in daycare or school, they watch you. They are with you at your worst moments and your best. They want to grow up to be like you. Give them an example worth emulating.

What I Say and Do Today, My Children will Repeat and Imitate Tomorrow.
This goes back to someone is always watching. I've been amazed how many times I have said something, like "Oh dear," and the next day Little Girl works it into a conversation with her Barbie. Children are imitators; that's how they learn. So what are they imitating from you?

My Attitude Goes a Long Way in Making or Breaking Our Day
This morning I was really tired. Long night with Little Boy. So by 10 am I was ready for some quiet time. I wasn't angry at the kids, just didn't want to sit on the floor to play because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back up. Little Girl asked, "Why are you upset today?" In all innocence and sincerity. I was rebuked. So I put a smile on and said, "I'm not upset. Sorry we haven't played today because I'm tired. What should we do together?" She instantly brightened and jumped up and down. "Play Candy Land please!" So that's what we did. My tiredness and exhausted attitude shouldn't make my children miserable.

I Can't Raise My Children Correctly by My Own Strength
I suppose I could say I can't do anything on my own strength but this idea of raising kids has especially hit me. There are lots of people in the world raising kids - millions in fact. And there are lots of "experts" telling people how to raise their kids. But unless I follow what God has laid out in His Word for me - as a parent, a wife, a friend, a person - I will fail in what God wants me to do. So everyday I lean on Him, ask Him for help and wisdom, and rejoice in what He has given me.

What have you learned recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment