Saturday, June 6, 2015

Vacation Ups and Downs

Vacation is one of those awesome things you plan and talk about and anticipate and then it goes by way too fast and you come out the other side wondering where the time went. Our recent trip wasn't much different...with a few little bumps in the road.
We hadn't had a vacation with the four of us except to visit family a few times. We'd thought and researched and finally decided to go to Zion National Park. It's beautiful, we could go before it got too hot (although it was already in the 90s!!), and there was lots to do in the park and in nearby St. George. My husband loves hiking and being outdoors, and while I could do without super strenuous hikes, I also love being surrounded by natural beauty that only God could create.
We began right on schedule early Monday morning and the kids were ready, the stuff was loaded. I just wanted to give my flowers one more water. Our water hose is located up some big rocks, which I climbed with no problem. After turning the water off, I began the short descent. Somehow my left foot found a rock just below the big rocks and down I went. My ankle twisted and I was on the ground. After a moment, I began limping back to the garage, wondering if I could just brush it off. When Tommy saw me limping he asked to see my ankle and to my horror it had already swelled to the size of a pingpong ball. So much for brushing it off.
I kept ice on it most of the six hour drive to St. George but the swelling had barely gone down. I was crushed that our anticipated, planned vacation was ruined. But I kept telling myself it wasn't a surprise to God and our family would still be together, which was the most important.
With a wrapped ankle, we did go to Zion the next day and did some light hikes which equaled two miles. The Princess was a trooper, although Tommy did have a stretch of carrying her while Big Boy was in the backpack too. We opted to not hike the next day because my ankle was bruising, still sore, and most of the other hikes would be too difficult considering the circumstances. Instead we spent day two at the St. George Children's Museum and it was a blast. We also walked Main St, ate Hawaiian food, and swam in the condo pool. The last day was spent with Tommy's parents who live an hour outside of St. George. On the way we stopped at Kolob National Park which is a finger of Zion. There are hiking trails but we opted for the 30 minute scenic drive instead.
All in all, it was a good vacation. Time to relax, have fun, see new things, and just marvel at God's goodness in all circumstances, especially the unexpected ones.

At the grocery store getting food for the condo. The perfect start for her vacation. 



 Both kids loved the shuttle. Zion makes you park at the visitor's center and shuttles you to the different trails. It's very efficient and smooth and lets you enjoy the scenery.



Dad's not ready to give her the keys yet. ;)




She wasn't quite sure how those worked.



Kolob National Park





Those mountains in the distance are part of  Zion.

We never got a picture of all of us :(  but we did manage this quick selfie at the top of Kolob.

No comments:

Post a Comment