Friday, July 31, 2015

What We Teach Our Daughters

The other day I was reading over at Scissortail SILK, a website/blog that addresses mom, wife, women issues from a Christian perspective. The theme of Becky Thompson's (the author) post was showing your daughter her worth by treating yourself with worth. She wasn't talking about vanity or parading how good we are (ha!) in front of precious, innocent eyes. Quite the opposite.
Unfortunately in today's society, outward appearance is the focus, especially for girls/women. What we wear, how we look, what we weigh - those are portrayed as the important things, the things that give us value or worth. And when we talk about ourselves to younger girls that way - whether they be our daughters, nieces, friends' daughters, or any girl who looks up to us - we are teaching them something they will believe about themselves.
Our job is to encourage them to develop inner beauty, beauty that brings God glory, beauty that has nothing to do with genetic makeup or the price spent on clothes. And it's amazing how early they learn.
My daughter turns four next week and she's been telling me all sorts of wonderful things she'll be able to do once she's that magical age. And I've been attempting to show her all the things she can already do, now, as a three year old. Things like share toys, say 'please' and 'thank you', set the table, write her name, learn songs and Bible stories, obey, and the list continues.
The point I'm making to her - and one adults need to learn too - is that God uses us now, where we are, with the talents and abilities He gave us for now. We don't have to wait until we get another year wiser. We don't have to wait until we have the perfect haircut or manicure or designer shoes. We don't have to be our ideal weight or figure.

We just need to be willing and obedient to what God has for us. Now.

God uses willing hearts right where we are.

Isn't that what we want our children (especially our daughters) to learn? To seek God's approval rather than man's? To do whatever God has called them to do, regardless of what the world is screaming?

Galatians 1:10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

**If you want to read the original post from Scissortail SILK, find it here. **

No comments:

Post a Comment