Monday, April 18, 2016

Writing Update!

It's been a while since I've talked on this blog about my writing endeavors so I want to give a quick update.

Edits

I'm plowing through the first run of edits on my novel. What are edits and how are they done? Keeping reading! Did you ever think authors wrote perfectly the first go around? Well, they don't!! It'd be great to have that kind of skill and inspiration but it takes several runs to get everything flowing and sounding just right.
So in January I finished the first draft. I printed out the whole thing (over 65,000 words!) and read the story cover to cover. I used different colored pens to mark things to delete, words to change, places I need to add more description or backstory. Now I'm taking those notes and plugging them into my manuscript on the computer. I'm not really reading the story as I go. I find what I marked to change, change it, and move on. I'm over halfway through this process.
What'll be next? Sending it off a chapter at a time to my critique partners. These ladies have helped me so much in the nine-ish months since I've joined them. Love getting their thoughts and advice. Once they send back the chapters with their notes, I'll go through the manuscript again (that'll be the third time, if anyone's counting). This time I'll read what I have, what they suggest, and decide what to change. Often they point out things I need to change, like grammar, spelling, phrases that don't make sense. Other notes are their opinion on word choice, flow, etc. One of the hard things in writing is keeping your unique author voice. I use most of their suggestions but sometimes I stick with what I had before. It's all about what the author is going for. :)

Agents

My ultimate goal in all the rewrites and revisions that are keeping me busy now is to get my manuscript in tip-top shape for submission. This is the scary phase when I'll query different literary agents with a brief synopsis of my story and the first several chapters to see if one of them would want to represent me. Most publishing houses don't even look at manuscripts that aren't represented by an agent. Because I don't want to pursue self-publication right now, landing an agent is the best shot I have at being published. Usually if an agent likes your story and writing, he/she will request your full manuscript before offering a contract. The agent might also suggest some edits to see how you'll be to work with longterm. After signing a contract with an agent, the process of finding a publishing house that wants to print the book begins!
I have a long way to go but I'm focusing on the little steps, like finishing this round of edits.

Website

A few weeks ago I started designing and working on a website. I'm not techy at all so it's been an interesting process of trial and error. I'm not ready to jump in quite yet but late summer/early autumn I hope to introduce it to you. When the website debuts, I'll also launch a monthly newsletter which you will be able to subscribe to from the website. In the meantime, you can keep up with me here on the blog, on my Facebook author page, and on Instagram.


Life

Of course writing isn't the only thing I do. It's been busy at our church with Bible study, Awana, choir, and special events. And my kids definitely keep me on my toes with craft projects, reading, and displaying their imaginations for me. Wearing a multitude of hats often makes it difficult to get to my writing everyday but I love our little family and am so thankful for the wonderful church family we've been blessed with.

Thanks for supporting and encouraging me along this journey. I have no idea where on the path I am but I'm thankful for your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment