I loved this book! I've done studies on the attributes of God before but this took it to another level. What attributes does God have that makes Him different than anything I could ever be? Some of His attributes (love, just, faithful) we should be striving to exemplify in our lives. They are hallmarks so to speak of what a Christian should be. But His omniscience, sovereignty, immutability, etc are things we TRY to attain sinfully but we can never fully reach. And that is part of what makes Him God of the Universe.
Wilkin doesn't simply give definitions and say, "That makes Him Who He is". She goes beyond that and makes it personal. She offers ways this shows up in our lives and what our response should be. She fills her text with Bible passages and references, real life examples, quotes from notable Christians, and current statistics. This is not just a book filled with her opinions or her insights. It's dripping with Biblical truth and I found myself wanting to read the book slowly to soak everything in but also quickly to see and remember the whole picture she is presenting.
It's difficult to quote just a few passages because there were so many that resonated with me, that I read over and over. The conclusion about Psalm 139 was huge to me. So often we reference that passage to talk about how well God knows us, how amazing He created us. But it's really about how amazing God is. I had never thought about that before but it made me consider God with a new sense of awe and reverence.
I have Wilkin's other book "Women of the Word" and it's been sitting in my to be read pile. But after reading this, I'm moving it to the top of the stack. I can't wait to dive into God's Word and apply the things I've learned from this study and I'm sure her previous book will ignite a similar fire under me to want to study the Bible.
I received this as an ebook from the publisher for review purposes but it's a book I want in my print library so I can mark it up, lend it to friends, and easily reference certain chapters. I'll be reading this again and recommending it to my friends.
I was given an ebook copy of this book from the publisher for review purposes. The thoughts and comments above are my own and were not influenced in any way.
No comments:
Post a Comment