Ever had something you really wanted to do but it just wasn't possible at the stage of life you were in? Does it ever discourage you? Let me share a little life story with you.
I joined American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) a few years ago. It's a great group of fiction writers, all wanting to use their talents and grow their abilities. I was drawn to the organization because of the Christian aspect. These are people who encourage each other, pray for each other, and write books with a Christian worldview.
At the time, I was just starting out. I knew a little about the craft of writing but I wanted to learn more. I also had a young daughter, not even a year old, so my writing time was limited. But I did what I could and tried to connect with other authors over Facebook and through their blogs. I signed up to review books for Bethany House Publisher (and I post those reviews here on my blog).
I trudged away at my manuscript, making mistakes, learning from them, and trying again. I had another baby, this one opposed to napping from the beginning of his life. I wondered if I was doing anything correctly in my writing efforts and I decided to take a huge step (for me). In 2015, I entered the ACFW Genesis contest for unpublished authors. I sent my first 15 pages and a synopsis (overview) of my novel. It was the first time since college that I let others read my writing. My goal was to get feedback from judges on what I needed to work on.
I was completely blown away when I got a phone call saying I was one of ten semi-finalists. It was one of those pinch-me, can't stop smiling days. Although I wasn't one of the three finalists, I learned a lot from the judges comments and got the boost I needed to keep writing.
That fall, I joined a critique group through ACFW and those ladies have become so special to me. I started submitting a different novel for them to critique and my writing has grown in the year I've been with their group. When I write, I correct myself now, seeing words used too often, poor sentence structure, wrong point of view. They are also some of my cheerleaders. We routinely email prayer requests, share helpful articles, and applaud each victory. We send lots of virtual hugs (because we're spread throughout the country) when we wonder why we're doing this. It's nice to know I'm not the only writer who gets frustrated and discouraged.
So why am I disappointed? At the end of this week, half of my critique group and scores of other writers will be in Nashville for the ACFW annual conference. Three days of workshops, meals, get togethers, keynotes, all about writing and with people who love it. I've never been to a writers conference. It's a dream of mine. But with my kids and a limited budget, I can't do everything I want. And that's hard sometimes. This week my Facebook feed is going to be swarming with pictures and stories and reflections from somewhere I wish I could be but just can't.
But there is light even in disappointment. I joined a group for ACFW members who can't attend conference. We'll get daily updates of what workshops were offered and breakdowns of the sessions. I'm glad I can cheer for my friends from a far and hear about their fun and what they learn.
Another bright spot on the horizon is a conference I am able to attend in Sep. Thanks to the generosity of my husband, I'm going to Indianapolis for the True Women's conference, Cry Out. Although it isn't about writing, it is about growing in Christ and a chance to recharge. I'll be attending sessions on mentoring ladies, the importance of prayer, and Bible study helps. I'll also have a chance to visit some family I haven't seen in a long time. To say I'm excited is an understatement!
What's my point? We can't be part of everything we want. Especially when we have financial constraints, small children, or work obligations. But in disappointment, God brings hope. He brings an opportunity, maybe that we didn't know possible. So hang in there! Don't let today's discouragements dictate your attitude. Keep doing what God has called you to now and look forward to what He brings in the future.
What are some blessings God has brought you out of disappointments?

No comments:
Post a Comment