It was great to focus specific time throughout the year to read, look up, and write what thankfulness means and why it's important and how it becomes part of our daily vocabulary. So toward the end of last year, I started thinking and praying about what my 'word' would be for 2017. I realized there was one word besides thankfulness that had presented itself in various ways throughout the year. That word was humility.
I had done a Bible study called Seeking Him that laid out things we must recognize about ourselves and change to become more like Christ. One of the first things was Pride. We must leave pride and be humble. So for five days I read Bible verses about pride vs humility, saw examples of humility in everyday life, and noted what makes pride and humility polar opposites.Later in the year, I was on the launch team for the book Humble Roots which is about finding rest by being humble and dependent of God. And {cough} I kept seeing things in my life that indicated I wasn't humble.
So what does this word mean for the year? For starters, I'm rereading the previously mentioned studies on the subject. I'm studying the various passages/verses in the Bible that deal with humility and pride. I'm praying this will translate into a heart change, not just head knowledge of the problem. It's one thing to know you need to change; it's another decision to actually seek and make the change. Have you ever chosen a word to dwell on? It's not too late to choose a focus word for 2017. I'd love to know what it is.
As I study, I'll be posting on various social media channels about what I'm learning. Look for the hashtags #myoneword and #humilityin17 and join the conversation.
Here are some of the resources linked to Amazon if you're interested:
Seeking Him by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Tim Grissom (chapter 2 on humility)
The Practice of Godliness by Jerry Bridges (chapter 6 on humility)
Humble Roots by Hannah Anderson (and here's my review of Humble Roots from the blog)
What are ways God is teaching you humility? When do you see humility is action?
I've actually been thinking this for myself! Humility and having empathy for people. Thanks for sharing Angela! :) ~Christine
ReplyDeleteI think my word should be "content". I seem to always find things that could be better in order for me to be happy. But I know that God has me where I am for a reason and I should enjoy each season of life regardless of how good or difficult it is.
ReplyDelete