Today as I glanced at my work calendar, I noticed the time is quickly approaching Thanksgiving at an alarming rate. To make the day last more than a single day, in my next several posts I'll be focusing on things I'm thankful for. Today: the introduction.
For about as long as I can remember my family has been playing the same game on Thanksgiving afternoon. It's a game Dad usually initiates, probably because he's good at it. Everyone sits in a circle. The first person states, "God is the source of all good things and I thank Him for..." and names something beginning with the letter A. The second person repeats the phrase, the mentioned A item and adds a B item. The game continues around the circle and through the alphabet. Dad always said the person who could remember all 26 things got seconds on dessert.
Inevitably, the things mentioned were referred to throughout the day. If someone had said "turkey" for T, when the leftovers came out we would all agree how thankful we were for the delicious turkey sandwiches. And items were recycled from year to year. I somehow (wink) got C the majority of years and quickly would say "cats" which everyone else would have to repeat whether they were thankful for them or not. Another time someone said "underwear" for U and we concurred we were thankful for that unseen garment.
As easy or silly as it seems, I think it's a wonderful reminder of all the little things we need to be thankful for. It's simple to notice the big things (job, house, salvation) and often those are mentioned in the course of the game. But things like the seasons, trees, pineapple, kites (K is hard!)...they are often overlooked as we ramble off the usual list. What do we take for granted that we need to be thankful for? One of mine is sitting on the bed with me....

FYI: "K" is an easy letter! You are thankful for Katie :)
ReplyDeleteHey--I was going to make the same comment that Katie did; although you would probably say "Koshka" now! "A" = I am thankful for Angela!! Love you.
ReplyDelete