Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cookbooks for the New Year

This time of year everyone seems to be in the baking mood. Even those that don't cook often want a home cooked meal as the temperatures drop. In keeping with the theme, I received several cookbooks for Christmas and I spent part of this morning marking all the recipes I hope to try in 2011.


These are the cookbooks I received for Christmas. My sister in law, Christina, is probably the queen of slow cookers. The recipes in my present from her are simple, convenient and look delicious. The Test Kitchen book is one of my mom's favorites. It gives recipes tried and tested with different brands, in different appliances and offers advice on how to do just about everything. It's more like a cooking guide. Tommy gave me Meals Made Easy by the people at Real Simple magazine. The recipes are in categories like "30 Minute" and "Freezer Meals" instead of the traditional divisions. The photos are gorgeous and make even simple recipes look gourmet.

I've also found some interesting cookbooks at my recent library exploits. One of the few Food Network shows I watch is Everyday Italian and I was excited to find some of Giada de Laurentiis' cookbooks at the library. She always says she makes traditional Italian foods with a modern twist and these recipes are perfect examples. From lasagna and iced coffee to Mediterranean bruschetta and baked tortellini, everything you imagine in Italian food and then some are in these books.

A cookbook I found interesting and delicious is Eating Royally. The author cooked for the British royal family for 15 years, starting in Buckingham Palace and becoming Princess Diana's private chef for the last four years of her life. Besides being filled with recipes made for the royal family, author Darren McGrady offers a look inside everyday life at the various residences and the food made for different royal occasions. The recipes I can't wait to try? Royal Tea Scones made daily for the Queen's tea and Royal Birthday Cake loaded with chocolate. Granted, many of the recipes are very "royal" in the ingredients needed, meaning I could probably never afford to make them. But even if you don't cook, I found this a fascinating read. Happy cooking, eating and reading!!


2 comments:

  1. Check out "The Perfect Finish" by Bill Yosses...it's my new favorite. He is really good at explaining the recipes....the ones that call for homemade caramel are described well enough (by color, etc.) that you can make it successfully without a candy thermometer. And all of the desserts are amazing. Happy baking!
    --Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for new cookbooks! I still need to make a library trip with you sometime this year, that last time we talked really gave me the itch to go! Can't wait to hear about the new recipes and things you learn from these new cookbooks! Happy New Year friend, I pray that you and Tommy will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete