This post requires a little interaction from readers and it's pretty simple...what are some of the books you read and loved as a child? Or perhaps had read to you. I know not everyone had the literary love I did but surely you picked up a Dr. Seuss now and again.
Tommy and I were talking about this the other day and a book he liked was Charlotte's Web. I know this will blow minds but I have never read that book. Or seen the movie. There was something about the spider on the cover of our family edition that never spurred me on to dive in. However, the book Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears got taken home from the library with me several times.
Then there were the gorgeous fairy tale books. If you want to see beautiful renderings of classic princess stories, check out the books of K. Y. Craft, Ruth Sanderson and Paul Zelinski. Truly amazing artists. When I got a little older Nancy Drew and American Girl were the only things I brought home. I knew exactly what shelf they were on in each of the library branches we would frequent. And of course you have Winnie the Pooh, Peter Rabbit, Amelia Bedelia, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle....
So what memories do you have involving books? What did you ask to hear every night?
I think a Bible story book was the main children's book we had or had read to us. Nancy had the "real" Grimm Fairy Tales with the gruesome details and I read Foxe's Book of Martyrs when I got older, which gave me nightmares. We had a set of encyclopedias that had condensed classics, and I read those (I remember Lorna Doone). When we went to the library I got Nancy Drews and when in 7th grade our school got a small library, I read all of the children's biographies ("Betsy Ross, Girl of Old Boston," etc.). I still read the Bible, mysteries, and biographies!
ReplyDeleteI wasn't read to a lot nor encouraged to read books other than required reading from school. However, homeschooling has caused me to truly enjoy reading. Aubrey enjoyed reading The giving tree (over and over and over again). We've found the lamplighter books, and my Ashton has really enjoyed Ishmael and Self raised. For children I have really enjoyed Robert McCloskey's books. If you are looking for a booklist to begin your own family library of childrens books, I would recommend going to Amblesideonline.com and looking at the first book list.
ReplyDelete