I don't know if anyone else has noticed but it seems like a lot of people don't know much about history (please refrain from breaking into song...). The fact is, yes, there are many things to know about history and, yes, some of it depends on whom you learn it from. We probably won't know exactly what happened in many events, no matter how technology advances or what else historians uncover. But we should at least have a foothold on some basics.
Last night I was watching a documentary on the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1804-1806. Did you know only one member of their team died the entire journey? Did you know Sacagawea made the trip with her newborn son strapped to her? Because of the expedition over 100 new plants and animals were documented, not to mention the source of the Missouri River was found and charted. In only 41 minutes of viewing I learned and now appreciate more about this country's past.
My favorite way to learn is to read. But some of the adult biographies are so large and detailed even the most avid learner can get lost. Several years ago I came across a series entitled, "Dear America." They are located in the young adult section of the library and are suitable for ages 10 and up. Each book is about a different time in America's history and is written like journal entries from a young girl living that event. The first one I read was "Winter of Red Snow" and it was about the winter spent at Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War. Most are between 100-200 pages and include pictures and facts about the time period at the back of the book. Events range from the Mayflower crossing to the Civil War, the Oregon Trail and Great Depression. For boys, there is the "My Name is America" series, which follows the same premise but is "written" by boys fighting in World War II, traveling with the Donner party, etc.
And lest you think these are only for preteens, I will admit I still get one at the library on occasion. They are easy reads but very interesting and informative if you have a mind to learn. I don't own any but I do have some in the sister-series, "Royal Diaries." As you can guess, these books are the fictionalized diaries of princesses and queens from around the world. They cover not just the expected royalty of Elizabeth I, Catherine the Great, Victoria, etc. But also lesser known Jahanara of 1600s India, Kaiulani of 1880s Hawaii and others. The entries usually take place during a transition in the princesses life-becoming queen, getting married, facing an enemy. All the stories are based on actual events with fictional people and dialogue to move the action.
So if you have a hard time reading a thick adult biography, walk to the young adult section and start with something a little easier. You''l learn history and enjoy a great book at the same time.
No comments:
Post a Comment