Thursday, January 26, 2012

For My Baby

Hard to believe my little girl is going to be six months old in a little over a week! Time goes so fast but I've had a wonderful time so far. And because of her I've been looking into new things.
She recently began trying baby foods and after research and several library books, I decided I wanted to make her food myself instead of relying on jarred grocery store fare. It's not hard at all and only takes time. But I have been able to multi-task and get other things done while fixing her mashed meals.
I simply put the fruit or vegetables chopped in small pieces in my steamer, put the burner on medium-low and get something else done for about 20-30 minutes. I transfer the softened food into my food processor, blend with some of the cooking water and spoon into ice cube trays. After a time in the freezer, I pop the frozen food into bags labeled with the name and date and I'm done! They will stay good for six months in the freezer and can be thawed on the stovetop or in the microwave. Yesterday I did carrots, today was apples and pears. We're stocked and ready to go for many meals ahead!

Apples ready to head to the freezer. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I want to do this too one day, now I know who to ask when I need to :). So good for vivienne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Healthier, cheaper, and greener, too. Think of all of the waste you are NOT creating. I love this new motto: Refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle. I am not a tree hugger, but trying to be more responsible with caring for the Creation so that my grandkiddos can enjoy and thrive in it.

    Another good thing about the little frozen cubes, you can take the food with you in a little insulated bag, and it helps keep it safe for a while. JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my babies loves sweet potatoes. Might consider that one too. Good way to keep babies healthy is to know exactly what you are giving them. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried sweet potatoes because I don't like them! Selfish motive so I'll probably try them and let her make up her own mind!

    ReplyDelete