Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Home for My Heart by Anne Mateer

When I first started this book, I wasn't sure if the plot would hold my attention. But Mateer does such a beautiful job of setting the scene, growing her characters, and keeping you interested.

Sadie Sillsby is the assistant at a home for orphan and "friendless" children (children whose parents can't afford to keep them but promise to return when their fortunes change). She feels a special bond with this place because she was once there herself, a lonely four year old no one wanted. Her life is going better now. She's practically engaged to Blaine, who has promised to marry her once he can afford to buy his own farm, and loving her job working with the children.
But when Hazel, the current Matron, becomes engaged she offers the position to Sadie. As Matron, Sadie's responsibilities become more overseeing the home, raising funds, finding homes for the children. She believes this is what she's been called to do and accepts the job without hesitation. But when Blaine announces he's bought a farm and wants to marry her, she's caught in the middle. The Matron isn't allowed to be married but she's been in love with Blaine for years. What to do?
All that happens within the first five chapters (out of 46). What happens in the rest of the book? Much growing and soul searching on the parts of all the characters. The storyline never seemed to drag, something was always happening to draw you in, to move the people involved closer to their ultimate decisions.
This was the first book I read by Mateer (she's written two others) and I love how deep her characters are. The more you read the more you learn about them. Sadie starts as a young woman determined to help her childhood home thrive and offer the children the love and attention she received there. After becoming Matron, she changes to a woman concerned about raising money, promoting herself to others, and seeing her own faults and shortcomings. By the end, Sadie has been humbled, taught to be selfless, and made to realize she needs to depend on people other than herself.
There were a few things I felt were mentioned and never addressed again but all in all the strings were well tied and put in order by the end of the novel. I look forward to reading more from this author.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for my honest review. The opinions of this review are strictly my own and were not influenced in any way by the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment