Friday, September 13, 2013

Made to Last by Melissa Tagg

This book is not your traditional romantic comedy fiction. Despite the light hearted plot, the character development and storyline go much deeper to challenge: what is important to us? Why do we do the things we do? And can God really forgive us for past mistakes?
Randi Woodruff is a popular home improvement TV show host with a past few people know about. To keep her feelings of rejection, loneliness, and guilt from the picture she's built a perfect-sounding life for herself. But it's all based on lies and half truths and when the network is threatening to cancel her show, pressure is put on her to create more interest, even if that means more lies.
Matthew Knox is a reporter who has made mistakes of his own. A faulty source and personal grudge led to embarrassment, resignation, and a career that's basically non-existent. His one lifeline is a daily blog on national darling, Randi. When she's nominated for a charity award, Matthew travels to NC to follow her, dig up whatever he can worthy of a cover story, and expose the truth behind what drives this mystery woman. Instant career boost.
But the more he learns about Randi, the more he interacts with those she cares about, Matthew is torn. The woman he sees helping everyone around her seems a polar opposite from the media star with rumors following her. What's a reporter to do? And how can Randi finally tell the truth when it will cost her everything?
This first-time author has a wonderful voice to read. She laces her dialogue and descriptions with modern day references and people that make the story feel real, happening right now. The interplay between characters is fun to watch unfold and each character has his/her own voice and way of talking that brings the story off the page. There were times I felt more like I was watching a movie than reading a book.
The pacing of the story is good too. Characters change and adapt to the circumstances around them and make decisions that are in keeping with their personalities. For a contemporary romance this is a big book. But once you start reading, it's worth every page to get inside the minds of these people and watch them make good and bad decisions.
The only thing I didn't like was the pacing of the ending. The last 2 chapters seemed chopped up into small scenes and I just wanted it to resolve. But even in that, issues were being resolved and the plot was moving forward. The final scene, I felt, could have been a little longer. After reading about this guys for over 300 pages, I was hoping for a little more than was there. Overall a good read, had me laughing a few times. The characters grew together and their lessons and motivations were perfectly synchronized. One of the best "first books" I have read in a while. I'll be picking up Melissa's next book for sure (and I hope Blaze is the subject?? I'm really curious about his backstory and would be interested in reading a book with him at the center).
I was given a copy of this book by Bethany House in return for my review. The review is totally my own and was not influenced by any outside factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment