Sunday, December 29, 2013

Compiling Lists and Doing Tasks

I love list making. I can't remember a time when writing something down didn't excite me; books to read, names I like, stories to write, crafts to make, projects to accomplish, favorite songs, favorite activities. Some things that didn't need to be written down, I quickly scribbled out just because I could. I put my name and address on everything, not to be possessive but because I needed to write something in the cover of every notebook I owned!
My list making saw me well through high school and college. I kept track of every hour and assignment in my day planner, which was always accessible. Before Smart Phones with built in calendars and to-do lists, reminders and notifications, I had my own system of organization: pen and paper which was consulted hourly.
I'm still a compulsive list maker. Each Sunday afternoon, while the other occupants of my house are sleeping, I gather my calendar and notebook around me with a cup of tea (or coffee) and list away. Grocery list, menu planning, projects for the week, letters to mail, goals. Basically everything I need to remember or do for the next seven days gets written down and filed or posted where I can see it and get it done. And when I do, is there anything better than drawing a line through a task, seeing proof you have accomplished something?
Of course the danger in lists is not actually doing anything you studiously chart out for yourself. I think everyone has had moments of believing you'll accomplish much more than you actually can. We write it down, have the best of intentions, and merrily go our way...forgetting all about a given task. We can get so busy planning what we want to do-what we should do or could do-that we don't actually get off the couch and do it!
And now it's the time when people make resolutions for the new year. I usually don't do resolutions but rather monthly goals. It's much easier to commit to something for 30 days and be successful than 365 days and get discouraged. I will have multiple goals for each month in different categories: spiritual (devotionals to read, people to pray for), writing (number of words to write/edit), family (things to do with Vivienne, places to visit), and personal (exercise, cooking, reading, crafts). If I need more time in certain areas, I'll repeat a given goal later in the year.
Whatever you do, I urge you to sit down, think, and make some kind of commitment for 2014. I know not everyone is a list maker but I find it helps so much to get your thoughts out there and organized. How can you achieve any goals if you don't even know what you are aiming for?

No comments:

Post a Comment