In A Noble Masquerade, Miranda Hawthorne is used to being corrected. Her every decision and action is scrutinized by her mother. Lady lessons are just part of her life although she chafes against the many things she isn't allowed to do. For years, she's been venting her frustrations in letters to her brother's school friend, Marsh, but never mailing them. A lady wouldn't dream of corresponding with a man not related to her.
When her brother hires a new valet, she is intrigued by the quiet spoken Marlow but horrified to discover he mailed one of her secret letters. Even more horrifying is when Marsh actually responds! Now Miranda is writing to a duke while being constantly drawn to a valet. Her brain and heart are more than confused but that's just the beginning of her adventure. I won't say more because that would give away several surprises and the ending.
The story was interesting to me on several levels. I like the idea of secret correspondence and the things we reveal on paper that we would probably not say in person. I also enjoy regency fiction with a little bit of mystery. The main issue for me was the pacing. From the description on the cover, I thought this writing and learning about each other would last longer. The back cover was just scratching the surface of everything going on. And it was a little confusing. I'm still not sure how the main mystery concluded.
But Hunter's writing and these characters were enjoyable to read. It was refreshing to have a cast that doesn't sound or act like every other historical fiction book out there. The character development and conflicts were well written and believable. I just had a few issues with the plot.
I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for a review. The opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
No comments:
Post a Comment