Friday, October 23, 2015

Outlining My Novel in a New Way!!

Next month is huge for many writers. It's National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). I participated for the first time last year and reached half of my goal. I'm determined to finished the course this year!
For a little background: NaNoWriMo is a challenge to write 50,000 words in one month (Nov).

{Just FYI, a novel is typically 60,000-80,000 words but can go above that. The NaNo goal is to get out a first draft that will give you the bones of your novel, ready for edits and rewrites.}

On the website, http://nanowrimo.org/ , you can sign up and find other author buddies to encourage you, tell about your novel, keep track of how many words a day you write, and find helpful articles. It's free to join and, although more difficult than it sounds, a lot of fun (if you enjoy putting words together, working under deadlines...)!!
Now, last year, I had a story idea, characters, and that was it! I went into the month thinking that was enough. Oh, Angela, how much you've learned. :) Last year I had some (read many) days when I didn't know where my story was going. I didn't know what to write next and that led to staring at my computer, getting nothing done, and suddenly realizing days were slipping by with no progress toward my word count.
The past year I've read articles, asked other authors, and realized I needed to take a more deliberate approach to structuring my novel BEFORE I started writing too much. Some authors (called pantsers, as in writing by the seat of their pants) just write with a loose outline and let the characters lead. Good for them!! I tried and I can't do it. I need a plan (also called a plotter/planner, as in writing with a clear outline).
As my current novel formed in my mind over the summer, I began fiddling with different ways to outline and keep track of my story's timeline. I used 3x5 cards for different scenes, typed out bullet points for chapters and scenes. But there was always some confusion on my part; like I was missing part of the story that needed to happen. But then, a few weeks ago, I read a post by Cara Putman on how she was outlining her work in progress. She printed off calendar pages for the month(s) of her novel and wrote in what was happening each day for her characters. She even used color, erasable pens so she could color-code the characters! I felt something click and decided to try it.
It's easy to find free, printable, blank calendar pages online. I chose a format with plenty of space for writing, printed them out, and set to work. I used the bulleted outline I'd already worked up and started filling in my calendar. Noting when the hook, mid-point, climax, etc. occurred, I also wrote in the connecting scenes that tie those major plot points together. I noted character development moments too. If you haven't picked up on it already, this new way to outline really excites me!! To see the story laid out like a daily planner and visualize how the events unfold was a huge help and I was actually able to fill in a few holes that were in the story.


So now I'm ready for November!! At least in terms of writing. I've already done research on my setting, filled in character questionnaires. I've written the first two chapters but now I feel confident in tackling the rest and reaching that goal by Nov. 30.
Below are some resources that have helped me plan for NaNoWriMo.

I found my calendar template at CalendarLabs. They have lots of great options.

This is Cara's post that inspired me. :)

I recently found K. M. Weiland. Awesome resource!! She has loads of great information on writing but this article about prepping for NaNo helped me gear up.

And for lots of random info about writing, word choices, and other things novelish, check out my Pinterest board where I keep all my helpful resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment