Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Personal: Studying the Bible for Yourself

**This is the fifth post in a multi-part series about studying the Bible. For a complete list and links to all previous posts, see below.**

If I've said it before, forgive me, but it's important. You can't leave your spiritual growth to someone else. What does this mean? If you want to grow, you can't show up on Sunday, listen to a sermon, and be good for the week. You might feel great on Sunday afternoon but come Monday morning and throughout the rest of the week you're going to get frustrated, feel drained, and not grow any closer to God. What's the solution? Personal time with God.
Easier said than done, right? I know it is for me. Let me tell you a little story and see if you can relate:

Once there was a girl named Angela. She was never a morning person. But it seemed everyone she talked with had their devotions in the morning, so she did her best. Some days were better than others. Then Angela was blessed with two adorable children. Her first was a night owl and her second didn't sleep anytime. All tries at finding a routine that worked for everyone failed. Her oldest couldn't fall asleep any earlier and her youngest, well, he just didn't sleep. Angela still set her alarm for earlier than she really needed to get up, thinking tomorrow would be the day I wake up before the kids and enjoy my devotions in peace. But she's still waiting for a morning when that happens. The alarm goes off and, if she can drag her non-morning-person-self out of bed, her second child seems to realize something is happening without him, and he wakes up. When Angela turns the alarm off and pulls the covers higher, her son sleeps in. After becoming frustrated and wondering if she was the only mom struggling to find a free moment, inspiration struck.

Sound familiar?! How often have your devotions been based on what you felt like other people expected you to do? I can hear your uncomfortable laughter and see your ducking heads. But for some reason we fall into that mindset. If this spiritual giant does it this way, I have to do it the same and then I'll become a spiritual giant. Do you know how they actually became godly men and women? By actually studying the Bible and praying, not by following a set formula!! Here's the inspiration that struck me and maybe it'll help you too.

1. We learn differently. Do you realize what that means? We don't assimilate information the same or remember it the same. I love reading books but audio books - I'm completely lost. On a recent family trip, we listened to two John MacArthur sermons and they were on Daniel. That's all I remember. For a while I felt guilty when friends would talk about some amazing sermon that they downloaded and learned so much from. On Sundays, I have my Bible open, my notebook and pen ready. I glean much from those sermons. It doesn't hurt it's usually my husband preaching and we talk about his sermon on the ride home. :)   But having one playing while I clean house? Not going to happen. I have to see the words to connect with them. I'm a visual learner. I marvel at people who can listen to sermon after sermon on a Podcast and remember! How do you learn?  *NOTE: Even if you glean insight from listening to sermons or lessons, don't neglect the actual reading of the Bible for yourself. But if you can follow along and remember while you get other things done, listening to a sermon might help you while reading a commentary or reference book helps me.*

2. There is no magic time. I've heard sermons on studying the Bible that doing it in the morning is more biblical because it's mentioned to rise early and seek the Lord. But aren't we to meditate on His Word morning, noon, and night? There is no wrong time to dive into God's Word. I remember a former Bible teacher of mine saying when her children were little, the only quiet moment she had was her lunchbreak. So she would eat lunch at her desk with her Bible open in front of her, journal ready for any questions or thoughts. When I had a regular sleeper, nap time was my quiet time. Look at your schedule, your family's routine. Find a consistent time and make it happen, write it in your planner if you need to. Let your family know that when your Bible is open, only an emergency should interrupt you.

3. Find a translation that you can understand. When I was younger I memorized and read the King James Version. Most of the verses I still know from memory are KJV. But I understand that it's overwhelming and sometimes confusing to unravel what is being said. When I was in jr. high, my parents got me a God's Word Translation which is very easy to read. For my Bible study in Acts, I've been using the English Standard Version (ESV) and have enjoyed it. I have a KJV study Bible that I reference and I still like memorizing from it, but I prefer to read the ESV or the New American Standard Bible (NASB). Make sure it's a translation and not a paraphrase but finding a Bible that you can understand goes a long way in making your personal study time a reality.

4. Ask someone to keep you accountable. This is one of the biggest helps to me. Ask a friend to drop you a text or email occasionally and ask what you are learning from your devotions. It doesn't have to be super long or formal but just a little nudge to keep you digging the Word on a regular basis. And you might read more attentively knowing you'll be explaining to someone else what you're learning.

5. Make sure you have the tools you'll need. As mentioned in a previous post, there are so many additional helps you can draw as you study parts of the Bible. Commentaries, dictionaries, a Bible atlas, books about Bible customs and people. You might use different resources depending on what type of study you're doing. For this study of Acts, I found an atlas very helpful in tracing Paul's journeys and seeing where all these different places are. If you're doing a word study across many books, a concordance is a must. Remember, a lot of resources can be found online. You don't have to go out and buy 100 different books. Make use of the good side of the internet. :)

I hope this helps you in your efforts and desire to know God better and to make time for Him each day.


Bible Study: Realizing I Needed More
Resources: Don't Depend on Your Own Knowledge
Methods: Different Ways to Study God's Word
Organization: Keeping What You Learn for the Future
Personal: Studying the Bible for Yourself
Practical: How Do You Use What You Learn?
Encouragement: Surrounding Others with the Beauty of God's Word

No comments:

Post a Comment