I started by cleaning and taking the labels off the Wildtree jars. This involved keeping them in the sink with hot water and soap for an hour. With a little pulling and light scrubbing the labels came off easily.
I found my roll of butcher paper from a previous craft and measured how much was needed to cover the jar. Then I cut it to size. An added benefit of the butcher paper was that it curled naturally around the jar, making it easier to glue on later.
My handwriting is not...great. I usually get in too much of a hurry and it looks sloppy. I pulled out some stamp letters and arranged them in various Christmas messages. My Princess Wanna Be had whole sentences she wanted me to stamp on each label. I convinced her shorter was better in this case and we stuck with the basics. The key here is making sure you have all the letters you need BEFORE you start stamping. I like arranging the stamps in the order I need (minus repeat letters) to avoid confusion.
Part of the beauty of homemade (in my mind) is that it's not perfect. Each one is slightly different and unique. So don't stress over crooked letters or not perfectly centered phrases. After I stamped the greetings, I used Mod Podge to cover the jar and slipped the label on.
**Benefits of Mod Podge over glue: dries faster and clear, adheres to various surfaces better, is easier to put on.**
I put a little Mod Podge on the edge of the paper to seal it and done!! A friend gave me a punch that looks like a label so I punched those from the butcher paper and stamped To and From on them. I was going to tie them to the lid with string but decided to Mod Podge them to the back of the jar instead. I wrote who they were for with a Sharpie before sticking them on.
You could fill this with homemade cocoa mix, candy, chocolate covered peanuts or pretzels. Happy crafting homemade gifts for the holidays!!
**I already had everything I needed for this craft. All I bought was the food to go inside.**




No comments:
Post a Comment