Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Here's to the New Year!!

Just as I anticipated, 2016 was a whirlwind! Maybe even more so that I thought it would be. It's amazing how fast 365 days can pass.
As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm not a huge resolution person. Instead, I prefer looking back at the last year and tracking things I want to do different or the same in the next year. I also have goals for various categories that I attempt to tackle on a monthly basis. 2016 was also the first time I choose a word for the year to dwell on. I picked Thankfulness because, in the season I'm in, I felt like I needed to remind myself to be thankful for everything all the time. It's still something I'll take with me into 2017 but I chose a different word (I'll have more about what I chose in another post).
So as I look back on 2016 what stands out and what will I strive to work on?

1) Patience. With people, with my kids.

2) Reaching out to others. I was impacted by so many people this year who just took a little time to ask a question, pray for me, send a text. It wasn't big or flashy. It just showed they cared about me and I want to actively encourage others also.

3) Getting out of my comfort zone. Going to a conference and meeting new people and experiencing different things was a huge thing for me. I was stretched more than I thought possible. But I also learned about myself, others, God. It was a great experience. Even if that kind of opportunity doesn't come again in 2017, I don't want to be afraid of stretching myself. That's when I stop relying on myself and totally lean on God.

I'm sure others will come to mind but those are the big ones. As for my category goals, I'm striving to:

1) Read one devotional/Biblical growth book a month (at least). This is in addition to reading the Bible through using my ESV Bible in a Year.

2) Write more frequently. I'm finding I miss my storyworld when I have to set it aside for days (or weeks). This busy season has not been kind to my writer brain.

3) Eat breakfast. This sounds small but I've never been a huge breakfast eater. Usually when the kids are eating I try to read/answer emails, get dressed, and small tasks that are easier when they are occupied. But that means I'm rarely getting more than a cup of tea.

4) Cleaning schedule!! I have one and I use it about 50 percent of the time. But then certain tasks seem so overwhelming because I have to catch up on 2 months of cleaning fast. My kids are able to help more now and I plan to get a routine in place for us all.

5) Meal planning. I've done well off and on. I need to sort recipes and throw out ones I know we won't use again.

And a few exciting things I'm working on at the start of this year:

My friend got me this amazingly cute book for Christmas. For each day it asks a question that you answer in a few sentences. And there's place for you to record your answers for 5 years. The one I got is specifically for moms and I'm excited to write about our little family in this memory book/journal.



























I have a new planner!! For the last 18 months I used Sandra Boynton's Busy Mom planner and loved it. The included stickers kept my kids busy on many shopping trips. But when I saw this coloring one on sale at Michael's several months ago I knew I wanted to use it for the next year. It's not for a specific year so I have some filling in to do on the calendars/dates. But I still love it and I'm excited to use it. I'm sure I'll post more about it later. :)






Merry Christmas!! I hope 2016 had amazing moments and memories for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment