While I was on my trip (see previous post), I finished an ebook on my Kindle entitled, "Dreams Change" by Deanna J. Smith. I was interested in the book initially because Deanna graduated from college with me. I would occasionally see what she was doing on Facebook and one day her post was something like her ebook was being released that day and to please check it out on Amazon. Being the reader and writer that I am, I immediately purchased it.
The book is part memoir, part blog entries about Deanna coming to terms with her unborn baby having Down Syndrome. "Dreams Change" opens with her waiting for the test results, followed by the realization that she wouldn't have the "perfect child," at least in her eyes. Like all of us, Deanna dreamed of having a smart, adorable, overachieving child. A little girl everyone would marvel at. This book is the story of how God changed her dreams and showed her a new reality.
To be honest, at first I was almost offended at her frank admissions-wondering if she could love this baby, questioning God in doing this to her-until I looked at myself. Her questions of "why did this happen, how could God do this" were some of my own when I miscarried. The raw pain I had felt was almost mirrored in her declarations, although our circumstances were different. Through the book I cried along with Deanna as her little Addison spent five weeks in the NICU, I felt her frustration as weeks and months passed and Addison had to stay on oxygen, and I felt her joy as she came to love and learn from this little unexpected blessing.
At a little under 100 pages, "Dreams Change" is not a difficult book or a long commitment but it is challenging. We have all faced circumstances that we questioned, either privately or openly. Deanna's story shows that God can change us, if we are willing to follow His plan for our lives. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to see the power of God working in individual lives.
If you would like more information about "Dreams Change" or to download the book, click here. If you don't have an e-reader, this book is available for download on your PC.
If you would like to follow Deanna's adventures, check out her blog here.
No comments:
Post a Comment