Friday, April 6, 2012

My Pinterest Project

I decided to try one of the many crafts I had pinned on my Pinterest. This one is from Crafty Endeavor. The project, thread eggs, looked simple, didn't take many items and was relatively inexpensive. I loaded up on embroidery thread and here we went.
The first batch turned out terrible. I forgot the recipe and made a thick paste with the flour and liquid starch. It was super messy and I had dried paste all over my hands. The eggs didn't hold together when I popped the balloons either. So I checked the recipe, realized my mistake, tried again. This time it worked!!


 While this wasn't too difficult, I wouldn't recommend doing this with your kids unless you love messes to clean up! With the correct starch/flour ratio, the paste is very runny and dries crusty. You have to press the excess liquid off the thread while you wrap it around the balloon so it took some time but I finished all these in a little over an hour. On the blog, she used thread to make a garland out of them. I opted to put some of them in my Easter centerpiece basket in the living room. The empty jar will have flowers in it. (I don't want them to die or get eaten by Koshka before Sunday so I'm getting them tomorrow.) I might use the others for my dinner table centerpiece or I thought of making them into placecards.
I decided to make some round balls instead of oval. I just pressed the balloon together a little and wrapped the thread tighter. Doing this, you could make these for any season/holiday with appropriate colors. All in all, I might do this again. It was worth doing just to pop the balloons and watch what happened. Hint: flour and starch do funny things to balloons. :)

1 comment: