I just returned home from a trip. Alone. With my eight month old. Who was teething for part of the time. She did well, even when she wasn't feeling the best. While I was gone I was the recipient of several random acts of kindness.
We usually think of these actions in connection with a complete stranger going out of his/her way to be nice to someone else. My travels took me to South Carolina then Ohio then back to Utah, all on airplanes. If you have flown lately, you know it can be a hassle. I was juggling my little girl in her stroller, a suitcase to check and two large carry-on bags. On the way to Detroit (where my family in Ohio was driving to get me), there was a mix up with my stroller and it didn't make it on the flight. So there I was at the gate, holding a tired infant and two bags and heading to baggage claim to get another one. One of my fellow passengers saw me struggling and offered to help me to the baggage area. He kindly took my heaviest bag and we chatted as we went to the claim. His suitcase came off the carousel quickly but he insisted on waiting to get my 45 pound bag off for me. He made sure I was okay with all my trappings before heading off to meet his ride. Thank you, whoever you are.
On my flight back home, the lady I was sitting by on the plane offered me the use of her fold down tray for my beverage and snack. I couldn't get mine down because Little Girl was fast asleep on my lap and it's amazing difficult to hold a baby, a drink, and a little package of pretzels. It was something small but it made a difference. Now that I have benefited from the generosity and thoughtfulness of others, it makes me more aware of looking out for the needs of those that I see, even people I don't know. How will you show kindness today?
No comments:
Post a Comment