Friday, July 13, 2012

Movies for a Rainy Day

Wives and DaughtersWe have rain in the forecast for the next several days, the first big storms we've had all summer. Rainy days always get me in the mood for two things: reading good books and watching good movies. I've written a lot about my favorite books so here are my recommendations for movies that are great to snuggle up to.


 1. Wives and Daughters-Based on the Elizabeth Gaskell novel, this BBC miniseries is several hours long but it will pull you in with the story of sweet Molly, her selfish half-sister, Cynthia, and Roger, the man caught in the middle.

North & South


2. North and South-Another Elizabeth Gaskell book-turned-movie. Margaret is a young lady from the South, where everything is bright and beautiful. Against her and her mother's wishes, her father moves the family North, where industry reigns and Margaret meets John Thornton, a mill owner. I think Mr. Thornton ranks right up there with Mr. Darcy. Watch it and judge for yourself!!

Product Details


3. Lorna Doone-An A&E adaptation on the book by R. D. Blackmore. I've never read the original so I don't know how close this version comes, but I love it! It has something for everyone: romance, war, revenge, mystery. I've watched this so many times but I still tear up at certain moments. I don't want to give up the ending if you haven't seen it.

This is just a brief list of my favorite movies. I have more to add but the rain has started and I think I need to make a trip to my DVD cabinet. Happy watching!!
(Pictures are from Amazom.com)




1 comment:

  1. I've watched the first two and LOVED them, so now I need to watch Lorna Doone! I hope it's on Netflix. Thanks for the recommend!

    ReplyDelete