Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Placecard Ornaments for Christmas Day

We are planning a big Christmas day meal with some wonderful friends (practically family) of ours and I want to make it extra nice. I'll be carting my china out of basement storage-planning to get a china hutch someday but until then...-and I bought beautiful chargers for under the plates, a new silver tablecloth, my jingle bell napkin rings with cloth napkins. But even though there will only be five of us I wanted to do placecards, just because it looks so nice.
So I've been stretching my brain for something festive and creative besides just writing on a notecard. When I was at Michael's (surprised?!) I found my inspiration...plastic craft ornaments. I opted for the square, present-looking ones because they sit on the table better. They were on sale for $0.75 each.
I already had silver alphabet stickers from a different project and they were the perfect size for the ornaments.

It took about 30 minutes to do the five I need for Christmas dinner. Before I started I made sure I had all the letters I needed! I tried to center the name on the ornament as best I could but I wasn't a perfectionist about it. How lovely!


The next question was what to fill them with? The tops pop off very easily and the opening is large enough for many possibilities. I thought about candy, M&M's or something, but I decided I wanted something else. Then I remembered the epsom salt from the table centerpiece. That would be perfect to look like snow and tie things together. I used a funnel to prevent salt from going everywhere. For a little color, I cut medium lengths of wrapping ribbon and curled it with my scissors. I didn't count how many I put in each ornament, just until it looked nice. I used the same ribbon to make a loop on top.



I think these turned out great and will be perfect on our Christmas table. The names are much easier to read in person. They were easy, inexpensive, and very adaptable. I thought about using coffee beans or glitter instead of salt, greenery or berries instead of ribbon. Whatever you can fit in there!! You could also put the year (maybe on the back?) using stickers if you wanted to use this as a party favor. I used silver stickers but you can find a variety of colors and sizes at Hobby Lobby in the sticker aisle. I have several other craft ideas that would use these little ornaments. What would you use them for?

1 comment:

  1. Cute! If you hadn't put names on them, you could use them for lots of other things just by filling them with seasonal items. I wish I lived closer to Michael's or Hobby Lobby - or that you lived closer to me and could help me be creative with all the cool things out there. :)

    ReplyDelete